Tuesday 14 May 2013

My First Proper Pattern Drafting Project

I had quite a bit of time on my hands yesterday, so I broke out my copy of Metric Pattern Cutting and the measurements I roped my mother into taking when I visited a little while ago and drew up a simple fitted dress pattern. It looks scarily small and the arm hole looks a funny shape compared to how I remember them but we'll see how it turns out.

I've still got some work to do and I have to widen the hips because I'm a different shape to the one used in the book but I'm fine with that. It's going to be a bit short because I decided to just go from one side of the paper to the other. I'm hoping adding full sleeves will keep it decent.

I'm not sure whether to put on one or two piece sleeves, but I'm thinking one piece will be quicker. I can always go back and draft a new version if I need to.

Have any of you guys ever tried making your own patterns? How did it turn out? I'm a little bit tempted to post my measurements on here for posterity.

No comments:

Post a Comment